Susan Saltonstall DuncanFounder & President
Susan founded RainMaking Oasis in 2000, the successor firm to Saltonstall & Associates which she founded in 1987. She began working with law firms in 1980, and has provided management consulting services to more than 120 law firms, other professional service entities, associations and thousands of individual professionals.
Susan works with firms, practice groups and individual professionals to:
- Advise on strategic, revenue growth, management, organizational and talent strategies
- Consult on partner succession planning and design succession management roadmaps
- Provide business development and leadership coaching to partners, practice group and firm leaders
- Develop business development strategies and plans for firms, practice groups, industry groups and offices
- Design and implement client service and value programs, key client team plans and conduct service feedback and needs assessment interviews with law firm clients
- Develop lateral integration strategies for firms and provide coaching to individual laterals
- Consult on firm values, vision and culture
Susan has been an innovator in the profession having served as one of the first in-house professional development directors in the country in 1982, one of the first law firm marketing directors in 1984 and is a founding member of the Legal Marketing Association. In 2002, she launched a software version of her personal marketing planning and coaching system called RainMinder® – “Mind your business, grow it every day.”
Prior to forming her first consulting business in 1987, Susan worked in two national law firms where she assisted in organizing efforts in client and practice development, communications and public relations, governance and planning, attorney recruitment, performance evaluation and training and paralegal management. From 2011 to 2012, Susan went back in-house and served as Global Chief Strategy and Development Officer of a 1,250 lawyer firm with 37 offices in 17 countries.
Susan was inducted as a Fellow in the College of Law Practice Management (COLPM) and into the Legal Marketing Association’s Hall of Fame. Her articles have been published in numerous national publications and for eight years she was the author of “Rainmaking” and “Fresh Out”, two quarterly columns for the ABA’s Law Practice magazine. Over the past 37 years, she has presented to numerous national and state organizations including the Association of Legal Administrators (ALA), the Legal Sales and Service Organization (LSSO), the Legal Marketing Association (LMA), the National Association for Law Placement (NALP), the American Bar Association (ABA), the College of Law Practice Management, state bar associations, the Society for CPAs, the American Marketing Association (AMA), the Practicing Law Institute (PLI) and the Institute for CLE.
Susan received her bachelor’s degree, Phi Beta Kappa, from Trinity College in Connecticut and completed graduate courses at Harvard University and New York University.